Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Thursday, October 18, 2018

The Corner Canyon Trail Run 25K!

On August 11th of 2012, my good friend Galen Garrison convinced me to do my very first ultramarathon at the Corner Canyon 50K. Not only was this race on the beautiful trails not 5 minutes from my apartment, but this race was also a fundraiser to help John Maack (aka Johnny Runner), who was battling a rare form of Cancer called Mantle Cell Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. Beautiful trails and a great cause to help someone? I was in! It was the most challenging race I had ever done to that point and to this day is the toughest 50K I have ever run!
.
John Maack won his battle with cancer and for the past seven years, Troy Robertson and John have held this race and used 100% of the proceeds to help other sick people in our community. This race (which consists of a 50K, 25K and 5K) really is a labor of love.

This year's recipient for the 25K and 50K was Olaf Questereit. Olaf is currently on an artificial heart waiting for a heart transplant.

This year's recipient for the 5K was Karie Attwood Huzzie who was recently diagnosed with Radical Sclerosing Hodgekins Lymphoma. 

I have been out of town or volunteered at this race since my 50K debut, and thought I would be out of town this year as well. After the Yeti 100 two weeks prior, I decided to stay home instead of traveling to California for Revel Big Bear. My legs were not quite recovered for a marathon and money is tight, so it was the right decision. I thought a nice 25K would be just the thing to get the legs moving again.

By the time I decided to do the race, online registration had already closed, but since this is a fundraiser with every cent brought in is going to a person in need, they allowed race day registration (you were just not given a t-shirt if you waited).  I got up at 5:00AM and drove over to the Andy Ballard Equestrian Park, registered for the race, chatted with a few friends running the 50K (which started a 6:00AM) and drove home to get dressed and gather my gear quickly so I could be back for the 25K start at 7:00AM. 

Great to see Monte and Kandi at the start!

The mother/daughter rockstars, Karen and Lisa!

Just before the start, John Maack gave us the course instructions and just like that we were off!

It was still a little dark as we started and I didn't bring a headlamp as I knew the sun would be up within minutes after we started. Like at the Yeti 100, I forgot to put in my contacts, so running before the sun was fully shining was hard as I couldn't see well. I went slow and cautious so I wouldn't fall. 

Going slow was my only speed as not even a mile into the race (which seemed to be uphill forever), my legs felt heavy and tired. Early on I started wondering why I was doing this, but I pressed on. 

The view was getting better and better the higher we climbed.

The snow already on the mountains made for a nice view as runners made the climb up.

Fall in Corner Canyon is BEAUTIFUL!

Lots of cute single track trail.

The weather was cool and there were pockets of wind which had me taking my outer jacket and gloves off and on. I was either too hot or too cold at various times of the race.

After a few miles, I pretty much thought that I was going to have to hike the whole race! My legs just were just not feeling it. I ran into my cute friend Kandi, who even with an injured ankle, was like a little mountain goat! I stayed with her and her friend for a while until we reached this long steep climb that I haven't run on in years. I don't even know the name of that section of trail, but it was tough!

Climbing up to Ghost Falls (I think). (Photo Credit: Kandi Rasmussen)

Kandi, her friend and I took a photo break! (Photo credit: Kandi Rasmussen)

We were getting close to the top!

Finally to the top!

I lost Kandi and her friend before we hit the top. When I finally did, I was looking forward to making up some time and getting more running in, but the downhill was as hard as the uphill! Not physically, but mentally! I love trail running but I still am terrible when it comes to running over trails with a lot of loose rocks. I see people full on hauling down the mountain and every step I take feels like I am running on marbles! I need to know their secret to going fast and still staying in one piece!

I went slowly down the mountain and by this time lots of runners were flying past me. I was tired an really ready to be done. Then out of nowhere, in the middle of nowhere, three little Pomeranians came running out and started chasing us! I thought maybe I had dropped dead and was in heaven (as being on a beautiful trail surrounded with Pomeranians is as close as heaven could be for me)! Then the owner came out a little shocked to see so many people. I told her that we were in a race and she said that she never sees anyone up there and apologized as her cuties were still chasing runners down the trail barking away. I ran down and scooped two of them up and snuggled them as I walked them back to her. One was named Pom Pom!! CUUUUUTE!!!

I was at the bottom of the hill thinking that there was only one hill left that I knew about as I saw 50K runners coming up it on my way down, so I knew we were going to have to go back up. I was wrong. We had yet another long climb before that steep hill.

I could find myself getting annoyed, but in a split second, I looked around and changed my attitude. Yes, it was hard. Yes, I was tired. But it was a beautiful day and I was on a beautiful trail running/hiking to help someone who would probably love to be healthy enough to be out here. From that minute on, I didn't care how fast or slow I was going, I was going to have a great time and I did.

I made those final climbs and with a little more than a 5K left, I was running down a trail to the aid station. I filled my bottles and had the best running of the race in those last miles.

There are some nice roots under those leaves, but it sure is pretty!

I hit the finish line with a smile on my face! I was so happy to have made the decision to run. It was tough, but it was so worth it!

Race Directors Troy Robertson and John Maack at the start/finish.

This was not an easy 25K, but probably my favorite. I look forward to getting back out on some of those trails again. A lot of them I didn't know existed and I live close!

The Johnny Runner medal is so cute!

This is a fantastic race for a fantastic cause! If you would like more info on this race and how you can help go to their website



No comments: