Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

#134- The Yeti 7/11 Hour Endurance Run!

When registration for the Yeti 7/11 Hour Endurance Run opened, I jumped on and registered immediately. After running the Yeti 100, I wanted to run as many races put on by the Yeti Trail Runners as I could. Race Director Jason Green has a way of making every race fun and unique.

The Yeti 7/11 was a timed race, 7 hours and 11 hours. For those not familiar with timed races, this means runners run as many miles as they can in 7 or 11 hours. The person with the most miles wins. I opted for the 11 hour run.

As I said Jason Green makes his races unique. This race had a 7/11 theme. All the food at the aid station were things you would find at 7/11. Hot dogs, candy and slushies (some with a little something extra added)! LOL! 😏

I got to the race a little late as I got lost. I had to call Jason to help me find Sweetwater State Park (not Sweetwater Park). By the time I got there, got parking, picked up my wristband (no bibs), and dragged my stuff (chair, drop bag, etc.) down there, the race had already started. 

The course consisted single track trails, double track trails, long steep climbs and some quad busting downhill all packed into one beautiful 4 mile loop.

The food at the aid station was loaded with food from 7/11!

I felt great for the first 2 loops. On the 3rd loop I started feeling a little low on energy. It was cold at the start and I realized that I had not took a drink of water in 8 miles! After I started taking in some water and food, I felt much better.

Race Director, Jason Green and I on one of my loops.

Always great to see Kaci from Memphis!

The course was so beautiful!


Now, I know that when running any ultra marathon, one should not spend too much time at the aid station, but I loved talking to the volunteers and other runners, so I probably could have saved some time if I was in and out, but I was having fun!


The river was raging!


The course markers

Each loop was different. Some times I felt good, sometimes it was hard, but after 5 loops, I had a good system going. Power hike the hills and run the flats and downhills and the time started to go by pretty fast.



When the 7 hour race ended, it felt like I was the only person left. I was running alone a lot and wondered where everybody went. As the day went on, the trail was crowded with hikers and people out for a Saturday walk, but I didn't see many runners. 

Then at about  32 miles in, got to the aid station and hit the bathroom. When I came out, I saw the cutest little boy who I thought looked like my nephew Dylan. Then I saw my brother Mike and his fiance Erika (who I haven't seen in 2 years)! I needed to keep moving, so instead of seeing them for 5 minutes, I asked them if they wanted to do a loop with me. They are not runners so I opted to walk one loop so I could get 4 miles of quality time with them. They were good sports to walk 4 miles of trails with me.

Dylan had a blast running. He wanted to race, so we did. He won!

My sweet nephew Dylan. I love him so much!

When we finished the loop, we took some pics and said goodbye. I had time for one one more loop and since I walked the last one, I was rested up and I took off feeling great.

My family! 💖

I ran onto a couple of guys who told me that we didn't have much time left. I of course go scared (even though I had plenty of time). These guys were hauling, so I did my best to stay with them. The three of us were rocking that last loop and came in with about 15 minutes to spare!

In the end, I ended up with 40 miles and some great memories. I have the feeling I will be spending more time in Atlanta next year. Not only to see my sister and brother, but I need to do this race again as well as the Yeti Snakebite (that is if I can get in)! These races are getting more popular because they are AWESOME!

Great swag! Love the shirt, but the dry bag is the coolest piece of swag I have received from a race!

No comments: