Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Friday, March 2, 2018

#133- The Sprouts Mesa-Phx Marathon!

A couple months ago, I signed up to run the Sprouts Mesa-Phx Marathon. If you read this blog, you will remember that I was lucky enough to run a Boston Qualifier at the Tucson marathon back in December. Unfortunately, my 14 second cushion will not be enough to actually get into the Boston Marathon, unless they decide to take all who qualify, which his highly unlikely.  So, I decided to get out of the cold weather and try my luck at the Mesa-Phx marathon in hopes of knocking off a couple minutes to give me a little more cushion. I have always heard it was a fast course, so I had nothing to lose. Then the plan took a turn.

I decided decided to run a 100K at the Jackpot Running Festival the weekend before as a part of the Yeti Distance Challenge. While it wasn't ideal timing, I got the 100K of the challenge done and I didn't have to fly anywhere. I rested up the whole week in hopes that I could still kill it in Phoenix, but from the get go things were not going the way I wanted them to go.

It was snowing pretty hard in Salt Lake City when I got to the airport Friday morning, so our plane was delayed. I finally landed in Phoenix 4 hours later than I was supposed to. I grabbed a Lyft and headed straight over to the expo.

The first thing I noticed when I got there is that it was freaking cold! I left the snow and was so excited to get to the warm weather, but I was freezing, so I was not that happy to see that the expo was in an outdoor mall. I grabbed my packet and got out of there. I was cold, tired and hungry.

It was getting dark and I was informed that the last bus to the start was leaving at 4:45AM. That meant I would need to be up at 3:00AM to allow time to get to the bus pick up. If I was going to eat something, I had better do it quick. There was a Mexican restaurant called Matta's Grill and Cantina about 10 feet from the expo, so I slipped in there with my bags and sat at the bar. I didn't want anything too spicy so I just ordered a beer and a quesadilla.

I met a nice couple at the bar and we chatted before I made my leave. By the time I got to the hotel, it was 10:00PM. I quickly got my stuff out for the race and went straight to bed. I usually sleep OK the night before a race, but that night I tossed and turned and never felt like I was fully asleep before the alarm rang at 3:00AM.

I got up, got dressed and made it out the door by 4:00AM. I caught a ride with some other runners who were going to the bus pick up, but as we got close, we could see that the traffic was horrible. Everyone was going to the same place and we were all moving at a snail's pace.

By the time the car dropped us off, we ran to the bus only to see what we thought was the last bus pull out. It was already 5:10 and the race started at 6:00AM! Then another bus came and I jumped on that one. Thank goodness because the volunteer said "Guys this IS the last bus!" I felt bad for all the people who were still in traffic as I don't know if they made it to the start or not.

By the time our bus got to the start, the race had just started. I didn't get to do a Maniac photo or see any of my friends. That was a bummer, but on the bright side, it is chip timing and there was no lines at the port-a-potties! I checked my drop bag and crossed the timing mat about 11 minutes after the race started.

It was dark at the start, but it was beautiful to see the sunrise come up with the silhouette of some giant cacti in the foreground. It was like something you would see in a painting. I took off feeling pretty good, but when my one mile split popped up at a 7:48, I knew I had to slow that roll!

You can see the lights of the city as the sun just came up.

For the next 14 miles I stayed well under my BQ pace and it the half at 1:55:32 (that was with a bathroom break). I felt good. Then around mile 15, I could feel my right calf start to twinge. I walked through the next aid station and grabbed some electrolyte drink, but when I started up again, the cramp set in good.

I rarely get cramps, but when I do, they are doosies! I had no choice but to walk it out. When the cramping finally stopped, my calf was really sore. It was there that I knew that I wasn't fully recovered enough from the 100K to try to run fast, so I opted for a finish that would ensure I wasn't going to be injured. That meant slowing way down and doing a run/walk to the finish.

The volunteers were AWESOME!

My last half was slow, but because my calf was sore, it did not feel easy. Around mile 17 or 18 we came across the Brookdale Senior Living Center. I almost cried when I saw all these sweet seniors out there cheering for us! I just had to stop and hug all of them!

When I saw these sweet seniors out there, they made me think of my mom, who used to love to sit an cheer on the runners at any race she was at. I almost cried!


I continued to plug away and finally crossed the finish line in 4:22:15. Not what I wanted, but not too bad for running on tired legs. The best part was that I crossed the line healthy and smiling!

Notice the long sleeved shirt and gloves? I was cold the whole race!


One of many FREE photos this race gives you!

I am usually not hungry right after a race, but when I smelled that Kneader's french toast, I got in line! I live right across the street from a Kneader's and their french toast is my guilty pleasure. It is soooooo good!

It wasn't pretty, but I got it done!

As I sat on the curb eating my french toast, I saw my awesome New York friend, JC Santa Teresa! He and his lovely wife were both running.

JC and I chillin' after the race.

After I left the runner's area I walked around to see if I could see any of my friends that were there. I was excited to see Marco and Alice Pontes! My friend Rob and I were lucky enough to meet them when we all did a trip to the Grand Canyon.

Image may contain: 3 people, including Angie Whitworth Pace and Marco Pontes, people smiling, people standing and outdoor
My Arizona Track 'n' Trail friends, Marco and Alice!

Great to see fellow Maniac Lisa Keller at the finish!

When I didn't see anyone else, I picked up my drop bag and started to call a Lyft to take me back to the hotel, but then I saw a bar called The Brass Tap and thought that SOMEONE I know should be in there! I was correct. I walked in and saw my cool friend Brian Wright. I was so happy to see him and I pulled up a seat next to him at the bar and we had a couple beers and some food. The JC and his wife came in too.

Brian is a total ROCKSTAR!! He ran his first sub 3:00 marathon at the race!

After I finished my lunch I headed back to the hotel, took a shower and a nap and just hung out at the hotel.

Now when I booked my flight for this trip, I thought the race was on Sunday. It was too late to change it when I realized it was on Saturday, so I had all Sunday to hang out. My flight was at 7:00AM Monday, so I moved to a Holiday Inn close to the airport. I thought with an extra day, I would want to go do something, but I was pretty tired. I just went for  little run, and relaxed at the hotel and ended the evening having dinner and watching the Olympic closing ceremony at the hotel bar with a few other guests which was really fun and a good way to end my weekend.

Ladies got a nice singlet, the men got a t-shirt.

Nice Medal!

This race is a great course and has the potential to be really fast. I learned a couple of lessons. 1) Don't run a 100K the weekend before you want to run a fast marathon; and 2) Give yourself more time than you think you need to get to the bus pickup. Other than that, I would totally do this race again. It was pretty well organized and the volunteers were amazing. Do this race if you get a chance!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome! Jealous! I had to defer mine until next year! Run with me PLEASE!