Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Never Say Never and Never Give Up!


Finishing my first marathon, getting my first Boston Qualifier, and finishing my first Boston Marathon.


The Boston Marathon registration closes today and tensions are running high for those in the "squeaker' category (that means you ran your qualifying time to -4:59:59 under it). Working so hard to qualify and not getting to run is heartbreaking, but you can hold your head high as you can still call yourself a Boston Qualifier.

Boston is a bucket list race for a lot of runners, but when you run towards the back of the pack you hear things like: "I will never qualify for Boston" or "I am to slow". I am here as witness that if you put your mind to it, and do the work required YOU CAN DO IT!!

My first marathon was in April of 2009. I ran 5:30. I did a lot more marathons always sticking around the 5:00 mark. Then one day in 2014 I set my mind to wanting to qualify. Those negative thoughts would sneak in and tell me that I couldn't do it, but I did my best to brush those thoughts away. When my mind was set on the goal, my body followed and I worked REALLY hard in for 8 months.

In May of 2015, I ran my first Boston Qualifier and I ran the Boston Marathon for the first time in 2016 and again in 2017! In 2017, a debilitating depression kept me out of even qualifying for 2018. I started to hate running as much as I hated myself. I had to heal and when I emerged from that dark place, I had to start from square one.

Again, I worked hard and in December, I ran another BQ. I only had 13 seconds under, not anywhere near what I needed to actually run, but I cried tears of joy! I continued to work through the winter and in April, I qualified with a -9:27 cushion. I am blessed to be going back for my 3rd Boston in 2019.

If you want to qualify for Boston,  don't let it be a pipe dream. Work hard and DO IT! It may not come fast (it took me 95 MARATHONS to qualify), but you can make that dream a reality if you stick with it. I know it!

Actually getting to run Boston is getting harder and harder,  but there is nothing like getting that first BQ, especially if it didn't come easy. If you are a squeaker, BE PROUD! Buy all the gear you freaking earned it! Running Boston is great,  but the REAL race is qualifying to get there. 

No comments: