Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Friday, May 4, 2018

#137- The Revel Mt. Charleston Marathon!

I wasn't sure what to think going into this weekend's marathon at Revel Mt. Charleston. I knew I wanted to get a 5 minute cushion on by BQ for 2019, but I have done enough marathons to know that ANYTHING can happen on the day no matter how trained you are. I did the work, I just hoped that I had done enough.

I paced the 5:00 group at the Salt Lake City Marathon the weekend before. I took the slower spot as I usually recover in a day or two when going slower, but I still put 26.2 miles on my legs and five hours on my feet. It's not the wisest choice when your "A" race is the next weekend, but I committed to doing it, so I did it.

I got a rough start to my trip to Las Vegas, when at 4:00AM on Friday morning, I grabbed my purse and check to make sure I had my ID before I left for the airport to catch my 5:30AM flight. To my horror, my driver's license was not where is usually was. I got a little panicked and tried to rack my brain on where I had it last (I rarely take it out of the compartment in my wallet). Then it hit me. I got a new phone and was given a temporary phone case to use until my new case came in. It had this cool little compartment for your ID, credit card, etc. When the new case came in, I took the old one off and gave it to our telecom person at work and she promptly sent it back to Amazon...with my driver's license in the back of it!

Thank goodness I had my passport so I could get on the plane, but I could not pick up my rental car so I was stuck at the airport trying to figure out what to do. It was a pretty pricey Uber ride to where the hotel and race bus pick up was, so I tried to think of another option.Then my friends Meridith and Rendi offered to pick me up from the airport as they were picking up our friend Lorena anyway. 

The expo was only a mile or two from the airport. I was supposed to work a volunteer shift from 1:00-5:00PM, but I just had Meridith drop me at the expo and I picked up an extra shift. From 10:00AM-1:00PM, I handed out race shirts and from 1:00PM-5:00PM, I worked the info desk,  checking ID and handing out wristbands for the beer garden.

Working the expo was fun. I got to see so many friends!

My good friend and fellow Yankees fan, Jorge and I at the expo! 

It was so great to see Scott Hardy (HARDY PARTY!!) Scott used to be the RD for one of my favorite marathons, the Sogonapmit (Timpanogos spelled backwards) Marathon. While 2,000 half marathoners waited at the top of American Fork Canyon, getting ready to run fast down the mountain, 90 marathoners started at the finish at 3:00AM and ran UP the mountain before the half started, then joined the half marathon on the way down! I miss that race! Scott did a great job as the RD of the Mt. Nebo races for years as well!

Karen "Evil Twin" Vollan is the Marathon Maniac Ambassador for Las Vegas! JC is my buddy from NYC! I love them! I can cuss all I want and I probably still didn't say the naughtiest thing in the room when they are around!! LOL!

My girl Sandy did the same thing I did! She just ran a 100 mile race for her 100th Marathon/Ultra!! I can't believe I got to see my tent neighbor from the Jackpot Running festival either!!

The coolest couple in Chicago! So awesome to see my pals Jennifer and Kinnier!

After my expo shift, before we left for dinner, Lorena, Meridith, Rendi and I had a little fun photo shoot! 😁


After the expo, we found an Olive Garden and grabbed a quick dinner. We were shocked and glad that there was no wait for a table, so we got right in. After we ate we all were exhausted and wanted to get back to our rooms and get ready for bed. We would need to be at the bus to the start at 3:30 AM!

Meridith drove me to my hotel (THANK YOU LADIES), where I was waiting on another NYC pal to get in. Jim Diego was sweet enough to let me crash in his room, but he didn't get in until later, so he made arrangements for me to check in. That was awesome because, I had enough time to shower and lay out my race day gear before he got in. I got into my bed and grabbed a quick nap until Jim showed up and we hit the hay toot sweet!

Flat Angie ready for action!

I woke up at 2:30AM and got ready and made a cup of tea for the road. Jim was up about 2:45AM and we were out the door at 3:30AM!

I love Revel races because they usually bus you to the start in a nice coach (with a restroom on board) and not an uncomfortable school bus. 

Jim and I on the bus to the start! Jim was singing the National Anthem at the race! In fact, he is almost done with his quest to sing the National Anthem at a Marathon in all 50 States! 

The temperature at the start was in the 40's, which is perfect for running! The Mt. Charleston Lodge  has a restaurant, which they were kind enough to open up to runners to wait in and provided bagels and coffee too. We were able to grab a chair (if you got there early) and keep warm before the race. We did not wait very long before it was time to take the Maniac group photo, check our drop bags, hit the restroom, and start the race!

In the lodge with my sweet friend Jennifer!

Maniacs at the start!

If there was one race I was taking my time at before the race, it was this one. The race is chip timed, which means your time does not start until you cross the timing mat. I was not going to leave the bathroom line just because the race started. If I did that, I would still have to go, but time would be ticking as I waited in line. This way, I am fully ready to run before I hit the timing mat.

My awesome friend Gabby from Chicago!!

My Los Angeles and NYC (now Oregon) friends Robert and Julia!

Once I was ready to go, I hit the timing mat and was off. I needed to maintain an 8:56 pace to reach my goal, but my splits for the first half were way under that. The only split that hit close was mile 12 where I had a bathroom break.

Splits in the first half were well below my goal!



Feeling great!


Around mile 11, I hooked up with the 3:45 pace group. As my I was going faster than my goal pace, I started to get worried that, while I felt great at the time, I worried that I would regret it later when I blew up. I felt comfortable with the 3:45 pacer, so I stayed there.


Having fun with the 3:45 pace group!


Feeling determined to hang with the 3:45 pacer until at least mile 20.


My goal was to see if I could stay with the 3:45 group until mile 20. I figured that if I could stay with them that far, I would have enough time when the course got tough between miles 22 and 25 to still make my goal. Not only did those miles have rolling hills, the heat was getting worse.


I am still hanging on, but the heat is getting worse.

I made it to mile 20, then 21! I had the thought that I could actually stick with the pacer to the end! As fast as I got excited, the heat hit me and I could see the pacer pulling away. I never pour water over my head, but I was so hot, I was getting dizzy and was afraid of passing out.

The heat was taking its toll.

You can clearly see where the wheels fell off from miles 23 to the finish!

I had to walk so much the last 3 miles, it felt good to have those moments where I could actually run.

Even though I slowed down, I still hit under my goal pace until mile 23-26. That was where the miles came off, but when I got to mile 26, I knew I had accomplished what I came there to do.  

The moment I realized I had reached my goal!!

When I saw the finish I started to cry. My goal was to run 3:55, but I came in at 3:50:38! 9 minutes and 22 seconds under my Boston qualifier! This result also qualified me for the New York City Marathon (with a full marathon time) by 22 seconds!

I AM GOING TO BOSTON!

I was so excited and relieved, but when I crossed the finish line the heat overwhelmed me and I collapsed into the arms of my great friend Stacy (who was my crew/pacer at the Yeti 100). She happened to be working at the finish line. 

They laid me on a table and gave me a cold towel. After about a minute or two, I was OK. I got up and made my way to pick up my medal. Then I saw Meridith, Rendi and Lorena. They all BQ'd as well!  

Three BQ's!

Lorena, Meridith, Rendi, Me, and Jennifer at the finish!

We left the finish area and headed for the massage tent! We didn't know they charged $5 and none of us had money with us, but my friend Cade saved the day and loaned me $20 and I bought us massages.

Always great to see Kimberlee!

My girl Stacy! She had an amazing day too! So proud of her!

Revel gave "Boston Bound" luggage tags if you ran a Boston qualifier! So happy to walk out with one! 

I waited for Jim and we headed back to the hotel. They were so great and gave us a late check out, so we had time to get a shower before heading to the airport. Jim's flight left about 4:00PM and mine left at 7:15PM, but since I wasn't able to get a car, I just decided to go to the airport with Jim and hang out until my flight left. 

Jim said we would be stopping on the way to pick up his friend Almi. They were both doing a double marathon and were running Big Sur the next day! When we got to the hotel to pick her up I realized that we had run most of the race together with the 3:45 pacer!

Almi asked Jim and I if we would like to have lunch at at the American Express Centurion Lounge. She could get 2 guests in and Jim and I got the benefit. 

It was AMAZING! We had a good lunch and when Jim and Almi left to catch their flight, Almi said I could stay there, so for the next three hours, I ate, drank and took a nap! 

Almi, Jim and I in the Amex Lounge!

Taking a nap before my flight!

I left the lounge and caught the 50 minute flight home. I got in my own bed that night happier than I have been in a long time!

HUGE THANK YOU to my coaches Holly Garcia and Stephanie-Jake Anderson of RYR Coaching for helping reach my goal. Without their guidance, I would have never been motivated enough to train through the winter to be ready for this race. I am super grateful!

For those of you that are thinking of running Mt. Charleston next year, register early. This race WILL sell out again. If you want to join our Marathon Maniac/Half Fanatic team and save some money register HERE!

Revel never disappoints!

No comments: