Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Tuesday, October 3, 2017

#127- The Fox Cities Marathon (Appleton, WI)

Race #4 of the Marathon Maniacs Signature Race Series was at the Fox Cities Marathon in Appleton, WI. The only thing I new about this race was that we had the reunion there in 2011 (I took over planning the reunions in 2012).

I was excited. Working a race where I don't have the state is always a plus, but with The Yeti 100 Mile Endurance Run coming up the next weekend, I wasn't sure if running 26.2 miles would be the best choice. I thought running the half might be better. Nonetheless, I decided to do it nice and easy and just use it as a slow 26.2 mile final training run.

Hopping the plane to Wisconsin

When I got Milwaukee, I met up with Garrett and Tony and we made the 2 1/2 hour drive to Appleton. I was staying at an AirBnB so the guys dropped me off and I chatted with the host and hit the hay. We would have a long day at the expo.

Saturday morning, Garrett and I hit the expo and set up our little booth. It was so humid and hot. We were already given pre-race warnings about the heat on race day and I thought if the heat was as bad outside as it was inside, we were in for a tough day of running.

Ready to greet our members at the expo!

After the expo we had our Maniac and Fanatic dinner at Wise Guys Pizzeria and Pub. I was a nice place and we pretty much had half the restaurant to ourselves and the food was great!

The Maniac/Fanatic Dinner

After dinner, I headed back to the AirBnB and got ready for the race.

Flat Angie is Ready!

The next morning, I took an Uber to the start. The logistics of this race were super simple. We hung out, took a few pictures and the race was underway.

I call this picture "3 Smiles!"

Tony, Garrett and I 

Lorinda, Stephanie and I.

Lorinda, Patti and I showing off our flowers!

Maniacs and Fanatics at the start!


It was already about 75 degrees when we started and it was only going to go up. I started running with Lorinda and Patti who were right behind the 4:10 pacer. It was not long before I told myself, to slow down. I want to finish, but I meed my legs for the Yeti, so I let them go. 

I picked up the 4:25 pacers and stayed with them until about mile 16 and I lost them due to a bathroom break. It was getting really hot and I could feel a little pull in my IT band. It wasn't bad, but the thought of having IT band trouble during my 100 miler, did not sound fun. I decided to do some walking and running the last 10 miles.

Awesome message on the street!


Wisconsin LOVES Football!

I noticed early on that the community really gets behind this race. It was so hot and not only were the people out there cheering, the local paper had asked residents along the course to pull their sprinklers out to the street, and they did! There were so many sprinklers to run through to help keep runners cool.

Loved this!

Now Marathons in Wisconsin have gotten a bad reputation for cancelling due to heat and the Fox Cites Marathon/Half did not want to be among them. The pulled out all the stops to ensure that did not happen. Not only did they add two aid stations to the marathon course (there were 22 aid stations), they had misting trucks, stationary cooling buses (where people could get on and cool down), ice at aid stations, ice cold towels, Popsicles, and any thing else you needed to keep cool!

One of the giant misting trucks!

The volunteers were AMAZING!



Around mile 23 (I think) we got to run over this really cool bridge!


These ladies at mile 25 were great! They gave out Popsicles!

I got to the finish in 5:00, which was perfect for a 100 training run, but I have to admit, it still hurt in that heat, but I knew my legs would thank me later.

At our tent!

 I took over giving out the Signature Race Series Medals and waited for the last runner to come in.

Charlotte and I snuck into the pacer tent for a free cold one! She always has a cute costume on!


The race medal and the SRS Medal

I got an Uber back to my room, grabbed a shower and a nap and my AirBnB host Jeremy asked if I would like to go to a nice restaurant on the river? Of course!

We hit this place called Fratellos Riverfront Restaurant . The food was good, but the cocktails were great!

We walked to the dam near the restaurant.

The next morning I packed my bags and Garrett, Tony and I hit the road!

My host Jeremy was so nice and very interesting to talk to!

I fell in love with is dog Rupert! ❤

Rupert!

When you travel with boys who like football and you are in Wisconsin, no matter who your team is you pretty much have to check out Lambeau Field!

Cheese Head!


We did the tour and the Hall of Fame.



I won't lie. Geting up from that position was tough the day after the marathon!

Love this!


I found out my plane was delayed so we didn't rush getting me to the airport. When we were about 2 miles away I looked at my app and it looked like the flight had moved up it's time! We panicked and I jumped out of the car and ran to the gate only to be told they had just shut the doors!

I was furious and showed the gate agent the screenshot of the delay notice. She told me there was not another flight out that day, but if I caught the bus (that was sitting outside), I would get there in an hour and I would have 40 minutes to catch my connection in Chicago. I paid the $31 and got on the bus.

About 55 minuted into the ride, I didn't see Chicago! When I asked the driver what time we would arrive, he told me "8 O'Clock". Well my flight left at 7:40PM!! It took two hours to get there, not one. I don't know why that flight attendant put me on that bus knowing, I would still miss my flight. I thought I was screwed. 

I called the airline and they got me on the first flight out in the morning, but that meant I would be spending the night in the airport. I posted about my ordeal on Facebook and Gabby and his husband Jim came to my rescue! They fed me and gave my a beautiful place to sleep. I am so grateful!! THANK YOU GABBY AND JIM!!


I made my flight the next morning and had one day to pack before leaving to Virginia. Next up? The Yeti 100 Mile Endurance Run!

No comments: