Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Pacing at The Timp Half Marathon and the Hobble Creek Half Marathon

OK, So I got a little behind and never got my Timp Half Marathon report done, so I am combining this post with the Hobble Creek Half Marathon that I pace at last weekend!

 THE TIMP HALF:

So excited to get a few pacing gigs with RYR Pacers this summer! Paced the 2:10 group with my pal Adrian and as you can see we had a blast!

This course is a beautiful and fast!

Added a Canadian Flag in honor or our friend Robert who is battling brain cancer!

Starting selfies!

My awesome pacing partner Adrian!

Rocking the National Anthem!



Smile runners!!




This 11 year old little dude named Bram, hung in with us until the end to finish his first half!

So great to see sweet Meredith at the finish! 




Lucy ran with us too and did great!

Great to see Carl too!

Some Run4Fun group at the finish!

THE HOBBLE CREEK HALF:

This race is run down Hobble Creek Canyon. I ran this race in 2009 and it was so disorganized I vowed never to run it again. This half marathon has been around since 1994 and it still has issues. The race started late, there were no announcements letting people know when the bag drop was leaving so when the race started (which nobody in the back heard anything), people were running down the canyon holding their drop bags!

Once the race got started everything was great. The volunteers were amazing and the course is awesome with some nice fast downhill in the first half and some nice rollers in the second.  

Our little pace team! This race we paced solo. I paced the 2:30 group, which was hard! Going slow down the hills is tough when you want to open up and go!

My friend Martin was kind enough to drive me to the race! He is from South Africa, so we talked about running the Comrades Marathon, which is on both of our bucket lists!

Pre-race selfie!

I felt so bad for all the people that had to run with their bags down the hill when the gear check truck left unannounced! People eventually started placing their bags at mile markers in hopes someone would bring them down!

Around mile 5 I picked up Jacqueline! This was her first half marathon and she thought she would  finish in 3:30. I could see in the first couple miles with her that she was physically strong enough to stay with me. I just had to push her through the mental sections. When we got to mile 10, she had to call her family to tell them that she was finishing ONE HOUR ahead of schedule! As 8/22/17, results are still not posted, but she came in well under 2:30! I was super proud of her for staying with me!
The Hobble Creek Half is a nice race even with the minor organization issues. Everyone gets a medal, but if you are one on the top 100 men or women, you get an "Elite 100" medal which is pretty cool. I would run this race again.



2 comments:

cookielyn_j7 said...

Thanks so much for pushing me along Angie!!!

Angie Whitworth Pace said...

Yay!!! I am soooooo happy that I could play a tiny part helping you reach your goal! No more sitting on the sidelines now girl! You are a half marathoner!! :-)