Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The Ogden Marathon And My First DNF!

I ran my 110th marathon, 1st DNF (Did Not Finish) at the Ogden Marathon on Saturday. I know. How could this possibly happen? I ran 71 miles of the Rocky Raccoon 100 with a cracked rib with overnight temperatures in the low 30's and finished. I have run so many races in the freezing rain (including Ogden in 2013 and 2015 where I ran PR and got my very first BQ), I should have probably grown fins by now. So what was the kryptonite that brought my race to the "Bus O' Shame" at 13.1 miles? I have a few thoughts:

1) I was wet and cold before the race started. Before I got on the bus to the start, it was raining. It was raining pretty good for the hour we spent at the starting area, so even with my what I like to call "stripper pants" (Adidas sweat pants with zippers up the sides) and a thin rain poncho, I was cold and wet before the race got started. I did find shelter in a port-a-potty (but with the long lines, I didn't want to hide out in there too long) and finally an empty truck.

Hiding in a port-a-potty for the rain to stop is not suggested.

Hiding in a truck with a bunch of runners including my  friend Bart Yasso (who I like to call the REAL most interesting man in the world) is awesome!

The Start!

Runners trying to stay warm and dry at the start!

2) I forgot my arm and hand warmers. Cold hands are my Achilles heel. Once my hands get cold it seems like everything else shuts down. I ALWAYS have hand warmers at the start of every marathon, even those that start in warmer, dryer weather. I forgot to pack a pair and had the feeling I would regret it and I did. My hands were so wet and cold, I could barely open my first GU at mile 5!

3) Hamstring pain at mile 3. If you recall from my Mt. Charleston post, I had some hamstring issues  (cramping and pain) at mile 15. I had taken it pretty easy to recover, but the downhill and the cold in Ogden had me wincing and walking at mile 3. I slowed my pace and tried to work through it. I think I could have babied it for the rest of the race, but I was already miserable and did not want to add any more pain and risk injury for nothing.

4) Dizzy spells. At mile 5 I started feeling dizzy. This has happened when I push hard to the finish of a race and stop suddenly, but never during. I was cold and I felt like I was going to pass out. I stopped and walked and a nice man asked me if I was OK and offered to walk with me until I felt OK. I eventually started running again, but walking just made me even colder.

5) No real motivation or goal. I love the Ogden Marathon, but decided to try and get my BQ at Mt. Charleston where and save some cash. I got the BQ, so there was no real reason to run the full with a double planned for June, but when my pal Tim Gill offered to transfer his marathon bib to me for nothing but a Pez truck, I thought why not? This was not an "A" race for me this year, it was a training run. If I got a sub 4:00 out if it, I would be happy, but I didn't NEED it. I had no skin in the game to get me mentally through the misery I felt and I had stopped having fun.

I am so grateful to Galen Garrison and Susette Fisher for offering to help me push through the discomfort, but I just didn't have it in me. I got to the half and called it a day and found the closest bus back to a hot shower! To my surprise, the bus was packed full of really good runners. I felt a little less bad knowing that others felt the same way I did.

Not too happy on the Bus O' Shame!

Looking back. if I could have just warmed up a little I could have finished, but if I am honest, I just didn't feel like it. I got a 13.1 mile training run and for that day, I was OK with it.

Now, the weekend wasn't all bad! I got to spend time with some really amazing friends!

I got to see my friend and RR100 pacer Andy!

I LOVE seeing Sue and Don Mantyla!

Fun before the race with Tim, Joshua and Jill (who was running her first post baby half! Yay!) 

Look at these studs! Bart, Rob, Franz and I!

These Maniacs all finished and still let me in the photo! 

Joshua, Bart, Tim, BJ (aka the Boss) and I had lunch after the race!

HUGE THANK YOU to Tim and BJ Gill for looking after Zoe and to Bart Yasso for making my weekend a lot of fun!

Six months ago, this probably would have crushed me, but one thing I learned is that in the grand scheme of things, not every race can be a PR or BQ. Sometimes there is even a DNF. I hope to never have another, but if I do, it's OK. All in all, it's just running.

My Medal Monday! Hee Hee!

No comments: