Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Monday, November 22, 2010

When to Keep Perspective and Not Get Obsessive!

I have been having a really tough month. The thought of not doing a November marathon was FREAKING me out! My last marathon was the Marine Corps Marathon on October 31st. I REALLY wanted to do The Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa OK on November 21st, but I just didn't have the cash to make the trip. I was so desperate, I even thought of revisiting the Mesquite marathon on November 20th, which was on my worst marathon list from last year! When nothing seemed to pan out I called my twin sister. Angel has 12 marathons under her belt, so I knew she could relate. The phone call went like this:

 Me: I am feeling a little nervous about Las Vegas as I failed to book a November marathon.
Sis: You just did MCM.
Me: But there was nothing I could get to in November.
Sis: You are still running regularly though right?
Me: Yes.
Sis: OK, get some perspective! NORMAL people don't run one marathon a month!
Me: You don't know my friends!


Thinking about what she said, I realized, yeah there are friends out there who have the means, be it money or time to run more than I do. I am not rolling in either. My goal is to run the 50 States, have fun and not go bankrupt doing it. I have time. I don't need to finish in one or even 2 years! My sister is right. The average person won't run one marathon in their lifetime let alone one a month!

It's time to take a chill pill. I'll be fine for Las Vegas, but I must admit, I am getting a little antsy not having anything booked after it yet!

3 comments:

Annette said...

I can so relate!!! It is hard when you surround yourself with Maniacs!! I know I catch myself wanting to keep up but like you it is just not possible!! It is even harder when there are two of us! I do wish you could have joined in the fun at Tulsa but don't be sad about missing the actual race..it was pretty tough!!

Angie Whitworth Pace said...

Thanks Annette. That is one blessing of having a husband that doesn't run! It would be tough for both of us to go. Congrats on Route 66. I heard is was pretty tough with the winds!

Joann said...

Wow, Angie, I could have written your post, but inserted December for November! I finished state #10and #11 in November, but have had to reign in the obsession factor. I did 8 states in 365 days, where I've never done more than 2 before. But the Maniac lure raised it's (ugly) eyes: One more state by Dec. 13 and I'd get 4 stars...and probably put me over the edge! So I just said "No", and have been savoring the cross-training and holidays. Besides, now it's ski season! Hope you're enjoying your holiday week!