Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!

Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner!
Save 15% when you purchase by clicking on this banner and entering code AMB-bee4a78d!

Monday, September 7, 2009

Pocatello Marathon!

Happy Labor Day everyone. While this weekend is about taking a rest from our labors, me and 6 of my friends decided to drive 2 1/2 hours to Pocatello, Idaho and run the marathon! This was cool for me as Pocatello was my dad's hometown and I still have a lot of family there.

We all left Friday afternoon so we could pick up our race packets. The Pocatello marathon is known for its great swag and they lived up to their reputation. We received a nice duffel bad, a very nice long sleeved tech shirt (which fits great), finishers medal, and a bag of Idaho potatoes!

We all attended the pasta party. Food was not that great, but I am glad we went. We had a great time being together, laughing and we met a few great people from New York and North Carolina. There were tons of people there from the Marathon Maniacs group, all trying to mark Idaho off their 50 state quest. We met an older guy after the race that has 296 Marathons under his belt!

The race was small, less than 300 runners and very organized. The people were very nice and treated us like rock stars. The race transportation was convenient, the race started on time and the course was beautiful. The first water stop had all these ladies out in their PJ's and bathrobes. It was super cute. The highlight of my run was seeing my Aunt May and Uncle Dennis at mile 15 cheering for us as we ran through Inkom (where my dad was born).

I felt great pretty much the whole race, but mile 25 always kicks my butt mentally. It's that so close, but so far thing. I just want to walk the last mile, but always need to convince myself that the faster I go the sooner I'm done! So I keep going. When I saw the finish line I went for it and knocked 19 minutes off my last marathon time!! A New PR!! Whoo Hoo!!

Big thanks to my brother Chris and his wife Wendy for putting me up at their home!! We had a great time in Pocatello and came back with our new slogan "What happens in Pocatello, stays in Pocatello"!

Bob, Teresa, Franz, Angie, Jim, Teri and Rita hold up their coveted bags of Idaho Potatoes!

Teri and I heading to the start!

Jim and Rita heading to the start.

I finished with a PR!!!


Just chillin' after the race.



I finished! I wore a button with my dad's photo on it. I could not run through his hometown without him.

No comments: